Featured Post

Mental-Verse - Prologue

Shuffling up the stairs towards my apartment I can't help but rub at my eye, the numbness in the left side of my slowly wearing off as d...

Friday 1 March 2024

Second Skin, Second Life - Part Two

The sound of the rain hammering against the sheet metal roof is soon replaced with the loud screech of straining metal. I'm barely able to through myself back out into the freezing deluge as the thin flimsy metal roof buckles and breaks inwards, rusted fragments soon spraying downwards along with a flooding tide of filthy water.

Scrambling against the stream of water racing down the street I stumble to my feet, my footfalls sloshing through the ankle deep waters as I stagger into the pelting storm around me. I try to whip my head around, desperate to find some sort of shelter from the rain as I practically wonder why I was even out and about in this damned weather.

Suddenly I spot it, a flapping awning stretching out over the street even so slightly with a door right beneath it. With the rain pouring down I stagger into the dark and closed building, finding the door unlocked as I seek shelter from the pelting rain.


Slamming the door shut behind I soon shuffle back into the dank and dark lobby, the glass panes of the windows and door rattling and shaking under the watery bombardment. The deafening beat of the rain against the windows makes it almost hard to think, the low bass rumbling echoing through the cozy yet open space.

Stumbling away from the door and deeper into the room I bump into the start of a row of seats, the small plastic chairs lining the right wall as a temporary seating area for those waiting for whatever appointment they had here. Squinting into the dark I spot a long curved wooden countertop, flanked by two small computer screen with a small cardboard box sitting between them.

Inching closer I begin to hear something from deeper inside the building, the sound of rain water hammering on metal and splashing on sodden carpet.

"Roof must of caved" I mutter to myself, whipping off my sweater as wringing it out in the hopes of getting something to dry myself off with.

As I approach the counter I pull out my phone, wiping at the screen with my hands as I try to remove the droplets of water before unlocking it. Quickly I swipe through to the torch, the bright light soon narrowly illuminating the start white waiting room and the painted black counter. Looking over into the box I spot what look like a bundle of wristbands and collars, the black rubber loops each adorned with a small battery back and exposed metal plates.

I slowly reach towards the box, my fingers brushing over one of the raised metal strips before withdrawing with a sudden pain. My fingers feel almost numb from the contact, the discomfort soon fading as I clutch at my hand.

"The hell are..." I begin to mutter, only to fall silent as I hear a slow thud come from nearby.

I whip around in place, shining my torch up and down the length of the lobby and through the side passages only to not reveal a single soul. With my heart racing in my chest I back up against the counter, my stomach sinking as my mind is plagued with the realization of just where I hadn't checked.

Lurching over the counter I quickly shine my light behind the desk, only to be met with the sight of a small set of computers and cheap desk chairs likely used by the receptionists. Hanging precariously over the top of the counter, I flail as I hear yet another thud and squelch now seemingly right beneath me.

Before I can land my feet back on the ground I feel something wrap around my ankle, wet and warm to the touch it quickly latches on with almost painful enthusiasm. I shriek in shock, thankfully for a moment that no one could hear my terrified squeal but quickly realizing it also meant that no one would come to help.

As I land on my feet I try to kick at whatever was clinging to my leg, the heavy creature flapping like a moist blanket as it rides the arch up before tumbling back down and latching to my other leg. I stagger with a howl of terror erupting from my open mouth, the squirming mass quickly wrapping around my legs as I feel tiny pin pricks begin to feel at what little exposed flesh it can find.

The world spin around me as I hop back, my leg catching the plastic seat bolted to the wall once again as I tumble head over heels. With a loud crack I feel the side of my head bounce off one of the flimsy armrests, the metal warping and plastic shattering on impact as I quickly fade into darkness.


Bleary eyed I slowly feel myself coming to, my muddled and hazy mind struggling as my skull painfully throbs along with my heart beat. I sway slightly, my skin and muscles tensing as if to fight my subtle movements while I slowly come to.

"Why..." I blurt out, my lips slamming shut against my will as I find myself struggling to do much of anything beyond struggle back to a semi-wakeful state.

Suddenly, it all comes back to me in a rush. The rain, the lobby, the thing, and then the fall all as my head begins to pound and ache worse and worse by the second. Blinking rapidly I try to focus, clearing my vision as I feel my eyelids grow heavy and defiant.

As I come to my senses I find myself...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts